Wednesday, October 3, 2012

St. Clair - St. James


Monday, Sept. 30, St. Clair-St. James, 48 mi.
towns along the way: Stanton, Bourbon, Leasburg, Cuba, Fanning, Rosati.
   Cool and cloudy all day today. Becky and I rode to the Lewis Cafe for breakfast, and on to the day’s route from there. We noted the many signs advertising the Meramec Caverns, but decided not to go there. Becky has been, and I didn’t care to go there. We passed by an Antique Toy Museum, but they were not open yet.
   In Bourbon we stopped at the Circle Inn Malt Shop. Jim and Vicki and Gerry were there, and later Rich, Bill, Hewes and Susan arrived. I had a delicious chocolate malt!



Circle Inn
   In Cuba we stopped at the Wagon Wheel Motel and went into the gift shop and looked around. It was built in 1934, and has been well kept.




   On in to the town of Cuba we appreciated the many murals.







   In Fanning we stopped at the US 66 Outpost General Store, and saw the World’s Largest Rocking Chair.” I saw a long-sleeved Route 66 t-shirt that I wanted to buy, but they didn’t have my size. I’m sure I will have other opportunities to find a Route 66 t-shirt!

rocking chair
   On down the road we passed the town of Rosati. There were rows and rows of concord grapes. We stopped at a store along the road that was selling a combination of things: jars of jams & jellies, pickles,etc.; fresh vegetables; second-hand bric-a-brac. I bought a kitchen towel for my sister Jane.
   Got to the Days Inn, our home for the night, a little after two o’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment